Project

General

Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion

Added by Silvano Bertoldo about 6 years ago

Dear all,

I have a strange problem.

I hava my MityDSP connected to my pc through both a serial cable and a ethernet cable.
The MityDSP works good. I installed the kernel on the SPI-FLASH and the file system in .jffs2 format on the nand and I correctly set up the network address of the system.
I use the serial cable to configure some boot parameters on the Mity, but when the boot is completed I cannot make the login to the system using the serial connection. It shows me "Login:", i write "root" and it gives me "Login incorrect". That happens only with the serial cable.
Using the ethernet cable and ssh connection it shows me "login:" I write "root", it asks me the password, I write it and I can login to the system.
Why does this strange thing happens?

My boot parameters are the following, correctly saved on the uboot environment.
setenv bootargs mem=96M console=ttyS1,115200n8 mtdparts=nand:128M(rootfs),-(userfs) root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw,noatime rootfstype=jffs2 ip=${ipaddr} ip=192.168.1.44:192.168.1.1::255.255.255.0::eth0:off

My someone help me?

Replies (10)

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Silvano Bertoldo about 6 years ago

Does anybady has any suggestion?
It is important for me, not only to have the access from ethernet, but also from serial cable...

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Michael Williamson about 6 years ago

Did you set a password for the root shell? Normally there is no password by default. How did you set the password?

-Mike

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Tim Iskander about 6 years ago

Normally, this is not a problem. can you check if there is an /etc/securetty file ( http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap5sec41.html )
or log in over the network and then try to log in from the serial console and check the log files in /var/log for errors (and report back)

cheers
/Tim

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Silvano Bertoldo about 6 years ago

From serial I do the access without password but when I write "root" at login it tells me "login incorrect".
From ethernet cable I do the access with "root" and password "mitydsp" but I do not set anything.

Attached you can find:
- a startup screenshot;
- the content of /etc/ folder;
- the file securetty.

Let me know, thanks.

Silvano

securetty.txt View (1.65 KB)

Startup.png View (109 KB)

File.png View (68.9 KB)

Is there something wrong?
Any idea?

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Jonathan Cormier about 6 years ago

Testing this on a L138 at my desk. I am able to login as root over ssh using any password including an empty password. But am having no trouble logging in over the serial port.

After setting a password I can no longer login using any password and am still able to login using the password on the serial port.

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Jonathan Cormier about 6 years ago

I updated to the latest filesystem and got similar results to my previous post.

My securetty file has following at the top of the file which i didn't see in the file you posted.

# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
console

RE: Login uncorrect from serial connection and correct from ethernet connetion - Added by Bob Duke about 6 years ago

Silvano, as a test, you can rename the securetty file which should eliminate any restrictions on root logins.

(1-10/10)
    Add picture from clipboard (Maximum size: 500 MB)